How can companies encourage collaboration for flexible workplaces? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Collaboration is so critical for flexible workplaces where there are many different types of remote, in-person and hybrid work arrangements. With such diversity and flexibility comes the increased need for communication and sharing thoughts and feedback to ensure that nothing is lost across different locations and time zones.
Here are several ways that companies can encourage collaboration in a flexible workplace:
- Providing technology and tools that enhance communication.
- Encouraging cross-team meetings and training.
- Establishing a centralized area where new projects are posted -one which encourages additional participation and feedback from other departments.
- Doubling down on scheduling guidelines and parameters to ensure that there are no gaps for teams and/or different time zones.
- Encouraging activities that promote team building and bonding.
- Soliciting regular feedback from employees to identify any potential areas of concern.
- Setting up a virtual watercooler where employees can talk to one another as if they met up in the break room.
- Having an in-person meeting every 6 months to bring the employees together face to face.
- Creating company norms around communication, meeting guidelines, and collaboration.